PHP Development is quite easy and fun to work at. Here are a few tips that should help you to be a good PHP developer.
- Use OOP : Using classes (or Objects) will keep like things together and remove the repetition of code and perform basic tasks of production very easily.
- Keep your distance from anything ending with _once() : include_once() and require_once() is extremely hard on server resources. These things will kill your server resources.
- Design Patterns : Design Patterns are some default structure solutions to solve problems of design, but the application design (modelling). But, why should I learn that? Just to write a better code and improve reusability. With design patterns you will find some default common problems and every time you find that problem you will find a default design to apply, so it’s easy to solve design solutions in your project.
(recommended : “Head First Design Patterns”)
- Use Frameworks : If you are a PHP developer that concerns about security and productivity I recommend you to use a framework. It will improve your development speed and you will have a better designed and structured application.
- Use PHP’s inbuilt functions : PHP has many built-in functions that can do what you need them to, so check out the manual to make sure you are doing it in the best way possible.
- : Stay updated with what’s happening in the PHP world.
- Well documented and commented code.
- Code Code Code.
That’s pretty much all about it. Hope that helps.